Friday, January 16, 2009

A new chapter (?) in my working life

It's now official - I've lost my Saturday job. It's a battle of the giants - Chemist Warehouse vs. Priceline Pharmacy, and Chemist Warehouse won. Which means, as of February 15th, 2009, all staff at Priceline Sunshine will be unemployed. A. broke the news on Friday morning as I was on the tram to work.

How do I feel, at this very moment? My emotions are very mixed - relief that I don't have to deal with those bloody druggies anymore ever ever(!!), sadness that I've lost my major income. (Basically a day there is equivalent to 2 days at my full time job)

But God reminded me to be grateful, because:
On that very morning I received the call that Priceline Sunshine is now kaput Chris (the boss at my full time) came in and said how pleased he was with the way I'd been managing his business - with ordering, stock control, customers..and that if I couldn't find any other jobs and wanted to increase my hours all I needed to do was just ask. He would always fit in something. For Chris to come in is usually about complaints, or to ask staff to implement things that he needed done. And then he explained that was why he hardly comes in to my particular store, as he had no need to. For me, that was a huge encouragement. To know that at least, there is still a job waiting for me, at the very least...that my boss would still keep aside something for me and not leave me out in the dark - for that, I am grateful.

And this morning, when I broke the news to one of my Saturday regulars to tell her I would be leaving soon, I was touched to see her cry. It meant a lot to see that, at the very least, I must have meant something more to my customers than being just their dispensing chemist.

And that is one of the reasons why I love my current full time job: because my customers don't stay customers - you form heartstrings.

No comments: