Saturday, October 4, 2008

Birthday Reflections

Saturday 4/10/08
8.30 pm

So here am I, home alone, trying to write my second blog entry.My fingers have been itching to write something, to pour out my feelings in writing that I sometimes stumble to express in words. Yesterday was my birthday, in which I've turned a quarter of a century old. It has been something that I had mixed emotions about. It felt like any other ordinary day. I actually woke up with a feeling of negativity. The messages didnt start pouring in till mid noon. Mum was the first person to text me...on 2nd Oct, mind you...next one up was my bf, who coincidentally is away in Greece on a holiday who rang me one and a half hours BEFORE MIDNIGHT on 2nd Oct.
I told them both what was the whole purpose of ringing and texting me on 2nd Oct when it is not even my actual birthday. My brother told me to stop complaining. -_-

A part of me wondered whether my best friend would remember my birthday. I told myself that it didn't matter even if she didnt remember, as she had been busy with her new job and having to stay at a friend's apartment which rendered her inconvenient to use a phone or the internet. However there was that little shimmer of hope that, in spite of everything, she would........

Funnily enough, she was the only person to wish me happy birthday at the exact stroke of midnight...12.01 am in the morning. When I received that sms my first response was...joy. Joy because I'd expected her to forget, and she'd remembered. Later on during the day, she sent another friend to pass a small gift on her behalf (as she is now living overseas) to me. I believe that true friendship never diminishes with time and distance. We may not be in contact like we used to, but the fire of friendship never dies. And I thank God for putting this angel in my life.

Then my bf rang again...the second time, a quarter to midnight....sigh...he still cldn't get the time right...this time my brother told me to shut up.

Throughout the day, I received sms'es and texts at work from church friends, not-so-close friends,and well wishes frm colleagues and acquaintances. I didn't expect that many people to remember, or send wishes, so all in all it was a nice surprise.

The best presents, however, came from three people dear to my heart that I will always cherish:
I came home to find my dear bro had cooked a feast (shepherd pie, tom yum prawns, cous cous) to serve me and two other friends I'd invited for a small dinner. He'd even bought a bottle of champagne (pink moscato!!) to celebrate the occasion, topped with a strawberry cheesecake. That was enough to speak volumes of his gift to me.

The second best present was a call from a long loved friend overseas in Brunei whom I had not contacted in about 6 mths...just to hear her voice over the phone brought a huge smile to my face. She brought back memories of my hometown, and our high school years together.

The last, yet not least, gift that stood out was this beautiful band with my name woven into it, hand made by a dearly loved brother in Christ. He'd spent hours at his friend's house making it for me. Seeing that band touched my heart. It was worth more than any gift that could be bought with money. I've since hung this to my mobile, so I can be reminded of it every time I take it out.

Here is something that I wish to share; to the people that are close to my heart, you know who you are. It was given to me by my best friend , and this also is an expression of my heart.

I want to say "Thank You" to you: you are here for a reason, whether it's for a season or for a lifetime. To my brother, you are family, and family is a lifetime.

People come into your life for a reason, a season or a lifetime.When you know which one it is, you will know what to do for that person..When someone is in your life for a REASON, it is usually to meet a need you have expressed.They have come to assist you through a difficulty, to provide you with guidance and support,to aid you physically, emotionally or spiritually. They may seem like a godsend and they are.They are there for the reason you need them to be.Then, without any wrongdoing on your part or at an inconvenient time,this person will say or do something to bring the relationship to an end.Sometimes they die. Sometimes they walk away.Sometimes they act up and force you to take a stand.What we must realize is that our need has been met, our desire fulfilled, their work is done.The prayer you sent up has been answered and now it is time to move on.





Some people come into your life for a SEASON, because your turn has come to share, grow or learn.They bring you an experience of peace or make you laugh.They may teach you something you have never done.They usually give you an unbelievable amount of joy.Believe it, it is real. But only for a season.






LIFETIME relationships teach you lifetime lessons,things you must build upon in order to have a solid emotional foundation.Your job is to accept the lesson,love the person and put what you have learned to use in all other relationships and areas of your life.It is said that love is blind but friendship is clairvoyant.



Thank you for being a part of my life,whether you were a reason, a season or a lifetime.

No comments: